Residents waiting for their daily mail who haven’t shoveled out their mailboxes or sidewalks could be waiting for awhile, as postal carriers must have clear and safe access to make deliveries.
Letter carriers of the U.S. Postal Service are not to take risks trying to deliver mail, according to local Postmaster Deb Egemo. So, if a mailbox is inaccessible, either on foot or by vehicle, the carrier won’t deliver.
To ensure delivery:
– Keep walkways, steps and porches clear of snow and ice that can lead to dangerous falls.
– Clear enough snow from curbside boxes to allow mail trucks to approach the box, deliver the mail and drive away from the box without danger or the need for backing.
– Clear walkways of snow and ice to allow for enough traction, keeping particular attention to areas that can be affected by gutter runoff that can refreeze.
– Keep steps clear of snow and ice and in good repair.
– Overhangs near mailboxes should be ice and snow-free, to avoid any icicles or chunks of ice from falling.
The words above came for my local newspaper. I certainly understand that postal carriers need to be safe when they deliver the mail but what about the most common quote about the post office.
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
I guess this is another place where an updated mission statement is needed…
Now before you start flaming me, please realize this post is 95% in jest….but then there is the other 5%. 😉