To all appearances, Cruz is riding his fight with the Republican establishment into the 2016 race for President. He has established himself as the hardest of the hard-liners on Obamacare and on immigration. His likely rivals Marco Rubio and Rand Paul agree with Cruz on the health-care law though neither invested as much as Cruz in the fight; on immigration, Rubio joined with McCain in the Gang of Eight, and Rand Paul has at least hinted at a softer line on the issue.
It would be a dream come true if Mr. Cruz did get the 2016 presidential Republican nomination. Yes, I know he is the darling child of perhaps 20% of the population but to the other 80% including some Republicans he is toxic. He is an extreme narcissist who deems himself the savior of the world. Kind of like Goldwater did in my early voting days. His ego seems to have no bounds.
If by some fluke he managed to kidnap the Republican nomination for president that would without any doubt secure the demise of the Republican party and therefore open up our country to just maybe a more sane political system. Yeah, the same thing would result if we managed to get rid of the Democrats but they seem just too disorganized to make that happen.
Ted Cruz is a primary example of what is wrong with this country today. Too many people, me probably included, think they know more than they do. They think they are perfect and have all the answers.
I will leave here with a short quote from a recently reacquired hero Alfred E. Neuman. I couldn’t possibly say it better….